Hello Friends’ Johnny is a cross-platform frontend GUI for John the Ripper, the popular PassWord Cracker Tool,
written in C using the Qt framework.
Johnny’s aim is to automate and simplify the password cracking routines as well as add extra functionality like session management, using the immense capabilities and features offered by John the Ripper. The application uses John The Ripper for the actual work, thus it needs to be installed on your system. Official core version or the community-enhanced version (jumbo) are both supported with PassWord Cracker Tool.
- Fork and OpenMP attack preferences added
- Manual password guessing via the Guess button
- Hash type suggestion in the Passwords table
- Session history and proper session attack preferences persistence
- Ability to set environment variables for each session
- The application is more efficient and uses proper threading for seamless operation
- Proper translation support; with French translation added
There are two ways to install and use Johnny:
1. Use a prebuilt redistributable package (Windows and OS X only for now)
2. Download source and build yourself (all platforms)
Windows and OS X
If you want to use Johnny on Linux/BSD flavors or obsolete versions of OS X and Windows, you can build Johnny from source or look for it in your distribution’s official repos.